Republika Hrvatska Central Dalmatia Split Cultural heritage
Muzej grada Splita ID: 59200-169
The beginnings of museum activities in Split and the first collection of heritage pieces are linked with Papalić Palace, today home of the Split City Museum. In the late 15th and early 16th century this Gothic and Renaissance palace was in the possession of the Split's noble family Papalić and housed the collection of Roman stone monuments, found and recovered at Salona. On their rounds of the Salona ruins, Marko Marulić and Dmine Papalić collected and studied Roman inscriptions and Papalić had these inscriptions built into the courtyard of his palace. Dmine Papalić, to whom Marulić had dedicated the published collection of the inscriptions, belonged to the well-to-do class of eminent humanists residing in Split, then a relatively small town. He performed many public duties in the late 15th and early 16th century Split. The artefacts remained on the same location until 1885 when they were, for the most part, moved to the building of the Museum of Archaeology near the Silver Gate.
Text and images are used with permission from the web site http://www.mgst.net/
- Position on map