Republika Hrvatska Continental Kroatien Zagreb Naturparks
Medvednica ID: 72150-109
The name Medvednica is mentioned for the first time in 1242 in the Golden Bull by Bela IV under the name Medwenicha, by which Zagreb was granted an estate in the mountain.
The name Zagreb 's mountain is in use since 19 th century in the age of absolutism when mountains used to be named after towns and places, which at the same time marked the forest in town's property.
Human settlements existed on Medvednica since prehistoric times, which are witnessed by rich paleontology findings from older and younger Stone Age in Veternica and Vidovec (Stone Age and Bronze Age tools, fireplaces, and graves), Marija Bistrica and Kralj's peak.
Antique stone findings in Vrapče, and highway trails that passed by border areas in Kašina are indicators of Roman settlement .From baroque and classicism remaining are feudal seats and manors in Gornja Bistra, Jakovlje, Gornja Stubica, Šestine, Vugrovec.
The first groundwork for forest management on Medvednica dates in 1877.
On the streams of Medvednica existed many watermills, mills, and sawmills and on gentle slopes of Medvednica hills the inhabitants have always been farming, growing wine and fruits.
Source: Text and images are used with permmision from the web site http://www.pp-medvednica.hr/
- Position auf der Karte